Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Discovery: The New Mom Edition

I understand things in life better since becoming a new mom. Everyone says you will appreciate your mother more which of course I do. I also thought my Mom was pretty amazing before I had Isabelle. If you are lucky enough to know her, you know that she is the human embodiment of the energizer bunny! Despite being 36 years my senior she can ALWAYS keep going when we are working on a task together and forget trying to beat her in exercise/sports. It is a combination of energy and tenacity that makes her akin to the character. I am totally off on a tangent! Anyway, the discoveries I have made since becoming a mom are different than what I expected!

For instance, drive-thrus (can you make that plural?). I always considered drive-thru windows somewhat redundant in some cases and in others for the lazy. Don't think for a second that I didn't use them before baby (BB); However now I understand their importance and they are a downright necessity for a new mom. I find myself wishing there was a drive-thru version of every venue I frequent. Grocery shopping would be considerably easier if you could just go through a drive-thru. Somehow I managed to buy a house in the only neighborhood in the US that DOES NOT have a Starbucks with a drive-thru close by.

Mom Jeans



Fashion High Waisted



Another thing I never understood BB were high-waisted pants and I am not talking about fashionable high-waisted...I am talking about mom jeans. I thought they were a fashion faux pas that I would never repeat; However when you have gone from housing a 6-9 lb baby inside your body to all of a sudden giving birth you have a little extra belly going on. Now I am happy to report the belly goes down quite quickly but any "pinchiness" around the mid-section is not cute Post Baby (PB).


The other thing that I am discovering is the definition of "sleeping". I know you don't get a lot of sleep with a newborn but BB I was unable to function on less than 9 hours of sleep ( for prolonged periods of time). Now I am somehow able to form complete sentences, most of the time, on a mere 4 hours of sleep and that is a COMBINED 4 hours! The little miss has taken to sleeping in 2 hour intervals, meaning by the time I feed her and put her down I have less than 2 hours to sleep :) So sleep has taken on a whole new meaning. I used to call the sleep I get now a nap or cat nap.

I am sure there are more unexpected discoveries I will make as the weeks go by and when they happen I will update! Motherhood is quite an adventure and I feel incredibly blessed to be on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment